7.20.2009

Dear Miss Anonymous

Dear Future Boo,

First and foremost, thank you for being the love of my life, my partner in this journey, and the force that I am meant to join with in life. Our relationship is one of the things in life that I’ve awaited for with unending anticipation. However, there are a couple of things I need to put on the table before I allow you to be with me—in short, I need you to know what you’re getting yourself into.
There are two unchanging facts about me: I am a hustler, and I am a Libra. As lame as these two things may sound (especially when put together), the fact of the matter is that these two things are not going away, and you have to be the type of person who can deal with both of these in order to maintain a successful and constantly growing relationship with me.
My linage is called “Holder” and I come from a long line of strong-willed Holders who have always done what they had to do to get business done. The Holders have never had an excess of money, trust funds, or any misguided need to be a slave to fads because necessities always came first. Being poor and being able to be happy are no unfamiliar territories for us. I am a Holder born into a single-parent household of a first-generation college graduate mother who always took care of business even when she was expected to do otherwise. What does this have to do with me, you may ask?
Well, that simply means you will never find me spending money on my entertainment when bills are not yet paid, you will probably never find me in the most fashionable attire or vehicle because I have more pertinent things to spend my money on, and you will most definitely never find me waiting around for life to drop some good luck my way because I will always make my own luck. I will probably never stay in one place too long, because I find opportunities elsewhere, and I will probably never live in the same city twice because I know that my success comes with my willingness to conquer new territory. If I find you at a young age, we will more than likely be in a long distance relationship for a considerable amount of time because I go where God tells me and I expect you to have your own path as well, not just follow mine.
I was born on October 1, and ever since then I’ve been in tuned with my emotions and an idealistic romantic. I do not like to argue—I like to communicate and discuss things. I do not enjoy casual romance, I like for everything to be poeticized. With me, you may find most days, most conversations, and every anniversary like something straight out of a chick flick, romance novel, or fairy tale. Because I like to take care of my mate and be taken care of by my mate. An unbalanced relationship will not last, (after trying my best to work things out, being the dedicated hustler that I am) I will find someone else to be romantic with, who will appreciate my dedication, and who will reciprocate all the emotions I cannot control or poetry I can’t help but write.
God forbid this letter ward off any potential boos, I am not just this hardass workaholic who is sappy when it comes to relationships. Trust me, the pay off is great. When I commit to someone, I am willing to do everything in my power to make them happy and to elevate them as I want them to elevate me. I make mistakes but I learn from all of them and I have open communication about what I’m doing wrong to fix it. Most importantly, I am never satisfied and always looking for growth. My hunger to achieve and to make things better than the best is endless, and will ideally work to the benefit to my potential boo…though I have seen it have a detrimental affect.

I hope I didn’t scare you off, but then again, if I did, I guess it wasn’t meant to be anyway. The point is to educate you not to advertise, so I hope I’ve done my job.


Sincerely,

Jireh Holder

No comments:

Post a Comment