7.05.2009

CherryCherryBoomBoom


Today marks the halfway check point of my summer—I’m back at Vanderbilt to continue my domination of this internship. Next stop will New York City. (And I get to see my long lost twin!) However, it’s time for me to be fully candid so I can properly document this point in my 22star14 growth...

This summer has brought a lot of changes and occasions that I had to rise to. The first of these was this crazy internship. I succeeded with flying colors, proving to myself that no challenge is too big for me. The most recent of these was forcing myself to step back from a relationship that was no longer producing the type of fruit a healthy relationship should. The longer you stay in a situation, the more comfortable it becomes and easier for you to become complacent with things you shouldn’t. What’s even harder than stepping back from two-year-soultie is stepping back when I know neither of us did anything wrong. Everyone says don’t tie yourself down while you’re young, but the beautiful thing about relationships is they force the couple to grow as individuals in ways that they wouldn’t have grown by themselves. (For example, because of this soultie, I’ve become a more focused, grounded, faithful and refutable individual.) It’s so easy to walk away when things are bad or at the peak of emotional distress, but to step back when the waters are calm and you can see clearly that things are not how they should be…that’s torture.

But it’s also the best time. No bad feelings. No drama. No mess. Just a decision.

I stepped back. And now I’m alone. Sitting here at the computer typing so I can recall later when I come to the full realization of my destiny in this 22star14 movement exactly how difficult this decision was…so I’ll be able to look back and say it was worth it.

It would be blasphemy and heresy for me to even attempt to poeticize or make symbolic the heavy weight that sacrifice of love has brought me today. So I’ll end with this:

“I remember when I used to say that I’m not worried about your future because I know I’m forever etched into your history. Well, my past, present and future are all irrevocably star bound because you showed me the sky when my heart needed it the most. I wish you enough. Love, G.”

2 comments:

  1. "...love [isn't] about sacrifice, and it [isn't] about falling short of someone's expectations. By definition, love [makes] you better than good enough; it [redefines] perfection to include your traits, instead of excluding them." -Picoult

    ReplyDelete
  2. aawww ::sigh::
    Love and all of its complexities and life lessons...

    ReplyDelete